Friday, March 20, 2009

My First (Sub)urban Assault

Yesterday I attempted my first suburban assault ride in Alpharetta.  For those (like me) unfamiliar with this term, it’s an “open” ride along unmarked trails, power easements, random fields, business parks, and anyplace else you can think to take a mountain bike.  A buddy of mine invited me to one earlier this week, and I had no idea what to expect.  With planned obstacles like the “Dips of Doom,” “Wall of Shame” and “Satan’s Steps” I figured I’d come home battered, bruised and bloody.  It ended being a very fun 12-mile trek through our suburb, one which was certainly challenging but had a good balance of rock, dirt, gravel and pavement to keep it fun and interesting.  (My buddy, who seemed to be the main coordinator/instigator, is the type who will point out very random “trails” and shoot off to investigate them.  We did a few of those yesterday as well.)

No bruises, and the only blood was from a thorn bush I accidently rode through.

Would I go back?  Most certainly.  It’s not every day I get to try the Dips of Doom, after all!

(In my mind’s eye, this is exactly what I looked like during the ride.)

No comments: